William J. Smith, Chief of Police
300 South Franklin St.
Holbrook, MA 02343
For Immediate Release
Thursday, Nov. 29, 2018
Contact: Benjamin Paulin
Email: [email protected]
Holbrook Police Offer Tips to Prevent Holiday Package Theft
HOLBROOK — Now that many residents have begun holiday shopping, Chief William Smith and the Holbrook Police Department would like to urge everyone to be mindful of a few safety tips to prevent their holiday presents from being stolen.
A recent report indicates that online holiday shopping will rise nearly 15 percent this year, and a consumer survey indicates that a staggering 80 percent of Americans will scour Amazon for gifts this year.
“We have been experiencing recent thefts of packages in town and we want to make residents aware that if they see any suspicious people hanging around their neighborhood or in their neighbor’s yard to call police immediately,” Chief Smith said.
To best ensure that your packages are not taken, the Holbrook Police Department recommends the following tips:
- Request notifications on your deliveries, via phone or email, to monitor your packages in transit and upon delivery.
- Always require a signature on your deliveries to ensure packages are never left unattended.
- Consider sending deliveries to an alternate location where someone will be able to receive them – whether that be a workplace, a neighbor or friend’s house, or a FedEx or UPS location.
- Schedule your delivery for a specific date and time that you’re expected to be home.
- Set up a vacation hold if you plan on traveling during the holidays so gifts won’t be left on the doorstep.
- Take into consideration using Amazon Lockers. The lockers are a secure, self-service kiosk where you can pick up Amazon.com packages at a time and place that is convenient for you.
- Be aware of “tailgating,” which refers to the people who follow delivery vehicles and steal the packages after they are dropped off.
- If you find your package has been stolen, call the police immediately.
- Never accept a surprise delivery where a payment is required, and never give out personal information when receiving a delivery that you purchased.
- Do not leave packages out in the open in your vehicle. Always lock your vehicle and store all the items out of sight. Bring in all items once you’ve arrived home — do not leave them in your car overnight.
If you witness any suspicious activity or if you believe you may have been a victim of a package theft, call the Holbrook Police Department at 781-767-1212.