Menu Close

Firearms Licensing

LTC applicants must be 21 years old at the time of application. FID applicants must be 18 years old or 15 years old with a letter from a parent granting permission to apply. We are no longer accepting cash and credit cards. Money orders, bank checks and checks are accepted forms of payment.

Click here for the Firearms Record Bureau.

New Applicants:

  1. Proof of residency or Holbrook business owner, such as a tax bill or utility bill.
  2. A copy of the safety or hunter’s certificate for the license type is requested.
  3. Driver’s license OR other photo ID.
  4. Birth certificate OR valid passport.
  5. Copy of DD-214, if ever in the military, showing discharge status.

Renewal Applicants:
Age 70 and over is FREE for renewals only

  1. Current firearms license.
  2. If your current LTC or FID was not issued by the Holbrook Police, you must prove Holbrook residency, such as a utility bill or tax bill.

When you have ALL the required documents listed above, call the police department and schedule an interview at (781) 767-6874. All applicants, whether new or renewing, MUST meet with a firearms licensing official and cannot simply “drop off” paperwork at the front desk. A new license interview takes about an hour, including fingerprints, and renewals take about 15 minutes and do not require fingerprints or references.



Under M.G.L., Chapter. 140, s. 131 an individual is disqualified from carrying a firearm if the person: has been convicted (or adjudicated delinquent as a youthful offender) of a felony, a misdemeanor punishable by more than two years imprisonment, a violent crime, or a weapon or drug offense

  • has been confined to a hospital or institution for mental illness, unless he has an affidavit from a physician stating he is not disabled by such illness in a manner that prevents him from possessing a firearm
  • has been under treatment for or confinement for drug addiction or habitual drunkenness, unless deemed cured by a physician
  • is subject to an outstanding arrest warrant
  • is subject to a suspension or surrender order or a protection order issued pursuant to MGL. c.209A.
  • is a minor under the age of (18) eighteen
  • is an alien
  • is not found to be a suitable person by the licensing authority.

In addition to the above, Federal Law (CH. 44 Title 18 U.S.C. 922 & the Omnibus Appropriations Act of 1997) also adds the following disqualifiers:

  • you have been discharged from the armed forces under dishonorable conditions
  • you, having been a citizen of the United States, have renounced your citizenship
  • you have been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence
  • you are a fugitive from justice


All handguns, rifles and shotguns must be stored in a locked container or equipped with a tamper-resistant mechanical lock or other safety device. Such weapon shall not be deemed stored or kept if carried by or under the control of the owner or other lawfully authorized user. Primitive firearms are exempt from this storage requirement.


CLASS “A” LTC: Allows the holder to transport a loaded or unloaded handgun on his person or in a motor vehicle if the handgun is under their direct control. Handgun does not have to be in a locked case or container.

LARGE-CAPACITY RIFLES AND SHOTGUNS: No person possessing a large-capacity rifle or shotgun under a Class “A” or Class “B” permit shall possess said rifle or shotgun in a motor vehicle unless unloaded and contained within a locked trunk or in a locked case or other secure container.

NOTE: All rifles and shotguns must be unloaded when in or on a motor vehicle, but only large-capacity rifles and shotguns are subject to the storage requirement. This also applies to Muzzleloading or other Black Powder arms.

Non-Residents and Aliens

May possess and carry non-large capacity rifles and shotguns for hunting as long as they have a valid non-resident hunting license and are legally authorized to possess and carry same in their state of origin.

All shotguns and rifles must be unloaded and encased. For handguns and large capacity rifles and shotguns, contact the Department of Public Safety.

Permit required to possess/carry handguns, rifles, and shotguns. Apply with the Department of Public Safety.